Saturday, March 13, 2010

Assessment stress


Well, I've finally finished the questionnaires I had to do with regards to Erik's assessment. Hubby has checked over them also. All I need to do is send them in. It was hard to answer the questions. Hard because sometimes the questions don't seem to make sense, or don't really apply to him. But mostly it's hard because sometimes the answers are not what I like.


I am really torn about the whole deal. The thing is, if Erik is diagnosed with Autism or something specific on that spectrum (which is likely at this stage, but not guaranteed), there is some good funding available to assist with paying for the help he needs. If I recall correctly, I think it's something like $12,000 up to the age of 7 years. And you can claim a maximum of $6000 of that in any one year. But, it means my son's disorder is a lifetime thing. If he is diagnosed only with developmental or speech delays, the chances are he will catch right up to others his age at some point and you won't be able to tell the difference. But there is no funding.

Whatever the results are, the treatment is going to be the same. He needs Speech Pathology, Occupational Therapy, and possibly some Psychology too. But Speech is the biggest thing....mainly because his delays are the greatest in this area. I know that Speech is not medicare rebated....we have to pay that out of our own pockets. I don't know about the rest. There is a scheme that helps a little, where you get up to 5 sessions in 12 months (for any of these things) rebated a little by medicare. But that's it. Erik is seeing the Speechie on average, once every fortnight. So you can see how quickly that assistance runs out.

So you see the roller coaster here? Need the funding, but don't want the "lifetime" diagnosis.

Last night I had a dream that we were at the assessment, and the final result was that he wasn't autistic. In the dream I was disappointed, because the problems were still there anyway, and we still had to pay for the treatment.

I think in the end, it really doesn't matter. What will be, will be. This is my son and I love him. I love him so much. It's hard to picture what his future might be like, because I don't know how his abilities will show out. But it doesn't matter....he will be ok. And we will all be ok.

Assessment is on 24th March, with a review to follow on the 31st. Will let you know how it works out.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment