Saturday, March 13, 2010

Eggshells


Hubby just sent me this link http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62B41820100312 It's another article about the whole 'vaccines cause autism' thing. Ok, I am walking on eggshells here....I am not going to comment extenstively at this stage, because this is a very sensitive topic to many people, and I want to be sure of my own standpoint before I go ahead and enter the debate fully. Some believe there is a great conspiracy about it all and the government is hiding something. Others believe that parents of autistic children are just looking for someone to blame for what is going on. And I'm sure there are alot more other groups/individuals who believe various things about it all.

What I will say is this: Erik's symptoms have been present since he was born. Looking back, the things that I used to attribute to his personality/ him being a boy/ each child develops differently/ etc, were actually signs of the problems at hand. I won't go into details here as I don't have the time right now. I do remember having fleeting - very fleeting - thoughts wondering why he was or wasn't doing a particular thing. But as I said, I would attribute it all to the notion that each child develops at their own pace, and that he had a very gentle nature. Again, both things are true, but that was not at play here. I should have known by the very fact that I had doubts. I struggle to trust my own intuition....it is a major flaw I have. Confidence issues. Anyway, my PERSONAL belief right now is that vaccinations are not the cause of Erik's problems. This doesn't mean I am stubbournly refusing to look at both sides. This is just my standpoint at this stage.

Overdue to feed the baby. Gotta go.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment