Thursday, May 6, 2010

Rum 'n Raisin Bread & Butter Pudding

I had some bread that was a bit on the dry side, so nobody really ate it. I figured it was going to end up in the bin - and I really hate wasting food - so I decided it was time to try bread & butter pudding. I've never made it before.

I googled all over the place for a recipe. I wanted something simple, but yummy. But the recipes are as many and varied as there are people on earth it seems! In the end, I came up with my own version. A bit risky when you've never made something before haha! When a recipe has that much variation, I think there must be alot of room for ...well...variation! So here's my take on the old Bread & Butter Pudding.

Butter for spreading on the bread and greasing dish
7 slices of bread - at least 1 day old.
4 eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup cream
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp rum
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins

Butter both sides of the bread and cut off the crusts.



Place eggs and sugar in a medium sized bowl, and whisk with a fork or balloon whisk until pale.


Add cream, milk, vanilla, rum and cinnamon to the egg mixture. Beat to combine.



Arrange bread in a greased baking dish. Spread the raisins in among the bread layers rather than on top. If they are on top, they will burn.




Pour the egg mixture over the top, being careful not to dislodge the bread pieces. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Now is a good time to preheat the oven to 160C (fan forced).

Sprinkle extra caster sugar over the top of the pudding.




And pop it into the oven! Bake for around 40 minutes. And there you have it folks!



Now for the taste test...... yeah, hubby likes alot of ice cream LOL.



I have never had bread & butter pudding before, so I don't know if I got the texture right or not, but it got the thumbs up from hubby :) ... And I don't actually mind it too much either! The taste is really quite lovely. The texture is kind of like a custardy sort of thing, but a bit more substantial. We had it with ice cream, but I think fresh whipped cream and strawberries might go just as nicely.



xx

No comments:

Post a Comment