Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tappy's Hammer

A little while ago, when we first realised there was something going on with Erik, we went out to buy him some toys. We did this because he wasn't playing with anything we had at home, and now that we knew the reason why, we thought we should find some toys that would cater more to his particular preferences. After all, can't have him walking around in circles all day now can we? And walking around the house was literally all he did most days.... except when he was tugging at my legs to get me to go one place or another with or for him.

Anyway, one of the things we bought was Tappy the Turtle. Hubby chose it - he is very good with choosing toys for kids. I always seem to miss whereas he usually makes perfectly appropriate choices. I wonder why this is.... hehe :)

Tappy with his head tucked in.

Even in the trolley, my little man was already enjoying this new toy. When we took Tappy home and took him out of the packaging, little man was right into it! Pushing all those shapes down and then grabbing me to tuck Tappy's head back in so all the shapes would come out again. Eventually, we taught him how to tuck Tappy's head back in all by himself. But although he liked playing with Tappy, he never ever used the hammer that came with him.

Until recently.

Over the last couple of days, I have found mr man doing this:



He's using Tappy's hammer!! Yay!

He's using it the wrong way, but I don't really care! See, my little man seems to have trouble making the association between using various implements to achieve things. For instance; using a spoon or fork to eat - took a long time for him to get this, and it is still a difficult concept. Or using a crayon or pencil to draw. He just doesn't seem to get it. It has always been hands and fingers. I wonder if this is a part of the Gestalt thing? I didn't think it was that literal.... I don't know.

But now he's using Tappy's hammer and I'm so happy! It's another small step :).

He also seems to be proud of himself. I really think he knows this is a new thing and is rather chuffed at his new discovery.

So proud of my little man.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment