Saturday, February 26, 2011

Retrospect: The Early Days

Lately, I have been thinking about the time when our son's problems were first brought to our attention. It wasn't that long ago in the scheme of things, but it seems like ages. I realised that although I have been blogging since before his diagnosis, I have never really talked about those very first weeks and months in detail. I suppose I was taken with things that were more attention-demanding at the time. Things like appointments and meetings and paperwork and such. It has been nearly 2 years since the nurse first told me he was not making his milestones, but less than 1 year since his formal diagnosis. It is my intention to post more about those early days in retrospect. We usually see things alot clearer in retrospect. It is my hope that these posts might encourage, comfort and reassure anyone who finds themselves in the same 'early days' place. I also hope that it might enlighten people who are otherwise unaware of what many parents go through when they find out their precious child is not..... normal.

A brief disclaimer here; I realise that the use of the word 'normal' can rile some people up quite considerably. It is not my intention to upset anyone. Like everyone, I have an opinion on this, and will probably blog a more specific post about it later on. Until then, I hope my use of the word will be accepted, or at the very least, tolerated by those who might otherwise be averse to its use.

Stay tuned for the retrospect posts.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment